Today I would love to share the *BEST* recipe ever for funfetti cupcakes. I love how these cupcakes doesn’t taste like the usual white cake or a vanilla cake, but rather have a certain flair to them. I think that the almond extract surprises your taste buds, in a way. In fact, when I was eating it, the taste reminds me of amaretti cookies, which are my favorite Italian cookies. Anyhoo, amaretti is the Italian word for macaroons; these cookies are made out of ground almonds or almond paste, along with sugar and egg whites (almost similar to the French macarons, isn’t it?). They are crisp on the outside, but soft on the inside. In other words, heavennnnn. But yes, these cupcakes reminds me of those little bites of heaven.
Be mindful that the recipe yields 12 cupcakes, but I got about 14 or 15 out of it (maybe my cupcake pans are small?).
adapted from here
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 6 T unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 t almond extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup jimmies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt). Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg whites to the bowl and beat until combined. Add in the vanilla and almond extracts and mix until incorproated. Mix in the dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix just until incorporated. Fold in the sprinkles with a spatula.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.